Thinking of becoming an Idlers member?
Here's what you need to know.........!
Membership Requirements and Information
- Your vehicle must be 4WD or AWD and for trips of a designated standard, it must have a UHF radio with a permanently mounted aerial and front and rear recovery points.
- New members are encouraged to participate in the annual Simpson Desert crossing trip before undertaking long touring trips through the outback which are graded black.
- Unless an equivalent competence is substantiated, you will need to attend a Club 4WD familiarisation course as soon as possible after joining but within 12 months. Lack of such training would not necessarily exclude you from participating in a Club trip but would be at the discretion of the trip leader. A small fee may apply for the use of our external training facility.
- On trips we do not allow pets.
- The participation of guests on a trip is subject to a number of requirements including approval by the trip leader.
The application process
- You will need to attend two monthly meetings of the club as a ‘visitor’.
- You will be given a club information brochure and a copy of the club’s Code of Ethics.
- During this time you will need to have an interview/discussion with a Committee member (to allow mutual questions and explanations) as well as with the club’s Training Coordinator (to allow an assessment of your 4WD training requirements).
- At or following your second meeting, you may submit your completed application form along with the membership fees (see details below).
- A membership covers the applicant as well as a nominated spouse or partner sharing the same vehicle.
- Your application will be considered at the next available Committee meeting.
- You will be advised in writing of the outcome of the Committee’s decision at the earliest opportunity.
- Should your application be approved, as a new member you will receive a name badge(s), Members’ Manual, Trip Handbook, Club Newsletter, Club vehicle sticker and, in due course, FWDVic car sticker, co-branded membership card and Trackwatch magazine.
- You will be expected to become familiar with and abide by the provisions of the Members’ Manual and when on a trip, the Trip Handbook.
- Fees payable at time of application are a one-off joining fee and the annual subscription fee (depending on date of joining, a pro rata annual fee may be available).
- Fees are subject to change by determination of the Committee and comprise:
- Joining fee: $150.
- Annual subscription fee: $70. Jan to June - $35. July to Dec pro rata
- The annual subscription includes affiliation to Four Wheel Drive Victoria and insurance premium.
- Fees should be paid by direct deposit into the club's bank account:
- Account number: 152106084
- Account name: Idlers Four Wheel Drive Club
- When making payments, please include your name and the purpose of the payment (eg A Brown, new member).
- Fees will be refunded should an application not be approved by the Committee.
Should you have any questions about the Club or the application process, please do not hesitate to speak with the Membership Secretary, click here Membership Secretary